I love the walk to Solano Avenue and back, but the back part always takes a little getting used to, since it's all on an incline, and for a few blocks at least, a pretty steep one. By the time I got home, after the last two blocks on Marin, I had to take my pants off because I was a little too sweaty.
Which led to this outfit. (Shoes: hand-me-down Adidas trail runners (Thrift Town); pants: saffron-colored wide-leg weirdo bloomers (Anthropologie); top: infamous cut-off ducks-on-ski-lift sweatshirt (Bargain Hut "By Seniors For Everyone").
You see, I take great joy in wearing profoundly stupid outfits on the weekends. I once wore this sweatshirt to one of our fave restaurants, and one of the two guys who owns and operates the restaurant gave me a stunned look, as if perhaps I'd sustained a head injury rendering me incapable of making sensible sartorial choices. There's something very freeing about wearing a sweatshirt with ducks on a ski lift printed upon it, after working all week in an office of women who look amazing, and loop thousand-dollar-plus purses over their thin and perfectly tanned forearms. Since getting my insulin pump, dressing myself has become even more of a chore; I hope this goes some way towards explaining my backyard weekend clothing choices.
The garden is looking better, and I'm taking advantage of the good weather to do some well-needed maintenance. I've also started using these very cool loopy metal garden poles for trellising the peas, which were a holiday present from Lyne and Otto (thanks so much!).
Thus far this weekend I have:
*planted more greens, peas, and flowers
*transplanted potted herbs into second garden box, and transplanted big-ass pepper plant to terra cotta pot, so it can come inside and hopefully form bigger pepper nubbins.
*pulled up a shit-ton of ivy from the hillside
*laid down more drought resistant grass seed
*moved compost pile to a more sensible spot
*taken measurements of backyard, made video of shack contemplations, and contemplated placement, materials, etc.
We've also been drying clothes outside, since the weather's so gorgeous. Many of our wedding prayer flags are up permanently, and you can sort of see them behind the clotheslines.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, sometimes I find domesticity compelling.
Oh silly ducks. Skiing is for birds who don't fly south for the winter. Will the raccoons make a appearance next weekend?
ReplyDelete